Resurrection.. A Short Story by Poornima Sony


The sunlight gushed through the window panes. A new day! A day to rejoice....As the sunlight hit my eyes, I felt it becoming wet. I tried to concentrate on the blooming buds. It is said that human life is the last incarnation of a soul....
      As I watched the buds, memories lit up.....   

  “Mom, do I have to attend the classes...? Can I take leave...please...please....”
                 I knew her answer. So I continued following my time table. I was late to school, as usual.

 “Can't you just change your attitude....? You're always late to the class....”
                          Sienna asked me during the interval.
      “No way, my dear”.
                      I told her the truth for she was my best friend. Punctuality still stands among the qualities I lack.
    School is lot more fun when you grow up. Dreams....aspirations light up your mind as you become mature. The cry baby attitude in you disappears even though the little baby in you awakes the day before Physics or Maths examination.

       Memories seem like fire...burning my heart...

Social Science period was my favourite, for it was the only time you could sleep undisturbed. I was an ambitious child with a cheerful group of buddies.

                       The English class was lot more fun. How the class boomed into laughter when I told them that the boastful frog in Vikram Seth's poem 'The Frog and The Nightingale' resembled our Academic Coordinator...!!!
                              
           Home set your spirits free .When you lose control over the strings on your nerves, when you are heartbroken, mother's love prove out to be the best medicine. Home was a place where you could recline
                     
                  Life was beautiful.....until....

A cold wind gushed through the window, as I withdrew my attention from the buds. The window panes struck harshly. The nurse came in to help me close the windows.

  “As a cancer patient, you are supposed to lie down and take rest”
she scolded me. This is the third year of my residence at this wrenched place.               
              Life was sailing smoothly until we discovered that the unusual pain occurring in my stomach was the result of stomach cancer......

The real beauty of life lies in its discovery. The luckiest one unfolds it. For me, 'today' is a fact, 'tomorrow' is a fantasy...
 As the sun began to shine brightly, the curtains could no longer hide its shimmer. My heart was burning .......Dreams.....aspirations....
            I felt my heartbeat chanting;
            
                  “ I will be back....! ”

Story by Poornima Sony, XI B