The Dream... Story by Jisha Jose

 THE DREAM 

 Yesterday, I had a strange dream, a different one actually. While walking along a street, I saw a huge building on the top of which there was a board saying, 'The Residence Of Time'. It surprised me. 

I walked towards the door and it opened for me. Normally, I should have felt afraid then, instead, I was curious. I entered the building. It was a big and empty room with a staircase on one side near to which, sat an old man on a chair. He was looking at me. He asked me to sit on the chair beside him. 

I sat and asked, 'who are you?' 

'Time', he answered. 

I repeated, 'Time? 

Are you kidding?' 

'No, why is it so hard to believe?

Didn't you see the board outside?', he asked. 

I was wonderstruck. 

He continued, 'I am time, the past, present and the future. It is nice meeting you. Normally, I don't get anyone to talk. I see you are a curious one.' 

I was so excited that I blurted out, 'Seriously? I can't believe that I am actually talking to 'the time'! I have never imagined time as a human. Even in my dreams, it was only a number. I have so much to ask you..' 

'Slow down', he said, laughing, 'I know you're excited. I welcome all your questions. Consider me as your friend.' 

'How old are you?' The moment the words left my lips, I felt stupid.

'Really? This is your first question?' the inner me asked sarcastically. 

'Oh! I never expected that question. I don't remember actually. Am I born or created by someone?', he asked as if to himself. 

I could see time was confused. So, I asked him another, 'Can you change the past?' 

Now he was surprised. 'Of course not. I am the past. How can I change me? Whatever's done is done. You cannot change the past, but you can learn from it to make a better future', he answered.

 It was a good advice. But, the only thing I had in my mind was, if I could rewrite the last terminal exams, I could save myself from severe scolding. 

Suddenly, something struck my mind. The next terminal exam commences tomorrow. How could I forget that ! My time is gone talking with time. Wait, where is he? 

It was then I noticed that time's chair was empty. I looked around and called out his name at the top of my lungs, 'Time, where are you? 

Then, I heard a voice. It sounded like my mother. 'What? Is she here too?' I thought. 

I went to the staircase and then it started trembling. It was trembling so hard that I would fall. At last I fell and woke up to the reality. 

My mother was beside, still shaking me. I got up and looked at the clock. I was already late....

... a story by Jisha Jose, XII A